Progress Shown in Young Entrepreneurs Consortium (YEC) Grant
Awarded in July 2014 to a consortium of 15 districts
for $13.6 million, the YEC Straight A grant is in its third year of implementation. The goals of the grant center on increasing student engagement, success and providing a strong foundation for future entrepreneurship towards the long-term goal of creating
more jobs in Stark County. The 2016 report shows many successes including:
- Problem based learning (PBL) allows students to learn by doing. The number of students who received PBL instruction (5,862) more than doubled from the previous year's report (2,135 students in 2014-15).
- College Credit Plus (CCP) allows 7th-12th grade students to earn college and high school credits at the same time by taking college courses. From the 2014-15 to 2015-16 school year, YEC saw a 159% increase in CCP for students in YEC pathways and a 267% increase since 2013-14 (the baseline year).
- Over half of the students surveyed agreed that taking college courses in high school influenced their decision to attend college. Thirty-six percent said it helped them decide on a career.
- According to National Clearinghouse Student Tracker data, the percentage of YEC students attending some form of college immediately following high school rose from 50% to 55% over three years.
- Through the grant, more teachers are earning credentials to qualify them to teach college courses in content areas such as business, math, English and Spanish. As of June 30, 2016, twelve of the 39 high school teachers pursuing adjunct status have been credentialed.
 Brown-Malvern, Carrollton, Green-Smithville, Green-Summit, Marietta, Massillon, Mid-East Career and Technology Centers, Minerva, Orrville, Osnaburg, R.G. Drage Career Technical Center, Rittman, Sandy Valley, Southeast Local and Wayne County Schools Career Center
YEC Pathways include a Career Enhancement Entrepreneurship Certificate, a one-year Entrepreneurship Certificate, a 15-hour pathway and an Entrepreneurship associate degree of Applied Business from Stark State College. https://www.starkstate.edu/academics/programs